Turns out there are no more hunger strikes at Gitmo, just “long-term non-religious fasts.”
Officials at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility have come up with an ingeniously misleading new term to describe hunger strikes at the prison: “long-term non-religious fasts.”
The rebranding appears in a 24-page document with the equally ingeniously misleading title, “Medical Management of Detainees With Weight Loss.” The standard operating procedure (SOP) document was exclusively obtained by VICE News Monday afternoon in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.
Read the full story here.
Rules: Always post the rules. Answer the questions of the person who tagged you and write 11 new ones. Tag 11 people and link them. Let them know they are tagged.
If I didn’t tag you and you wanna answer my questions, feel free — and tag me — I’d love to see!
1. Tell the truth - is there a Disney Princess (or Prince/major character) you’ve just always kind of wanted to punch in the face?
If we go by major character, can I say Walt Disney? Anti-Semite, racist? “But that’s just his time!” Bullshit.
2. How do you feel about that?
Pretty peeved. It annoys the hell out of me when people try to excuse racism because “it was common” or “that’s just their generation.” Again, bullshit! Socialization should not completely override someone’s ability to comprehend that racism fucking sucks.
3. If you had to give up coffee or alcohol for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
Alcohol. I’m not huge on either, but I’m much more of a little-things kind of guy, and I would miss coffee more.
4. Would you rather have a 3-D printer, or an art/woodworking/craft-of-your-choice studio?
A sculpture studio! Now, if only I could sculpt.
5. What’s your opinion on modern art?
Awesome. As in, I like it. Art is everywhere, art is everything. Even the challenging pomo pieces are interesting in their own way.
6. What’s your opinion of pie?
Dig it. I could really go for some right now.
7. Regarding Books — Paper or Kindle/eReader?
Paper ‘til I die.
8. Be honest: How often do you really wash your coats?
Probably every two months?
9. Do you play the lottery? Do you really think you’ll win?
Paha, no on both accounts.
10. If you did win, would you give me some?
11. Are you sure?
Yep. If I won, I’d put what I had of it towards school and give out some extra to people.
12. Do you think Questions 9, 10, and 11 really count as separate questions?
Not in the slightest, but it can be annoying to come up with multiple questions off the top of your head.
13. What is your opinion on the Oxford Comma?
I still use it and will continue to use it regardless of an academic consensus one way or the other.
14. When you text, do you use abbreviations or spell everything out?
I tend to spell everything out, unless I’m feeling playful or I’m short on time.
So, let’s get down to business. Eleven questions, starting now.
Revv up that vintage soft grunge
At least the usurper you see is of human form, of skin and flesh to redirect our eyes. The usurper I must bear is a ghost. A figment of memory, of symbols black, white, and small.
Of one whose attention I desired, I would rather they be distracted by a canyon than the minutiae in the rocks.
Amanda Chervinko - Keep Your Eyes Peeled
Interviewer: Are you scared to die, Malcolm?